Friday, September 15, 2006

 

God! the state of art today!

Thank God for that! I was sure I offended you and that was the last thing I was thinking of. Well maybe not the last but it was really way back there.

When are you going to set up a web site so I can see your stuff? I’m telling you, a web site is the way to go.

I think visual artists are in a similar situation as musician visa-vie the market. Up until the last 10 years or so musician were at the mercy of the recording companies. Then along came Napster and upset the apple cart. Napster has now gone legit but the gene is out of the bottle. Now musicians are in direct contact with their public. Lots of musicians have web sites of their own. Now they and their public are in direct contact with each other. And the record companies are scrambling trying to keep their shirts. I think artists are in much the same situation. Of course the music industry is much bigger then the art industry (industry?). And the galleries and museums are nowhere near the force as the record companies. But I think the model is similar. With a web site you have much greater control over whether your work gets seen or not. You don’t have to jump through a bunch of hoops to let people see your work. And you have some control over who sees your work. And through marketing techniques you can enhance all of this.

Never mind I hate almost all current music. I think this is a brand new medium and we haven’t seen its mature players yet.

The thing about Post modernism is really a trip. I think we have to come to terms with the fact we are in a new era now. Modern art is gone. Post Modernism is what’s happening now. It’s just a fact of life; things move on. Do you remember in art school we would go to all those openings and there would be all this installation / current events crap? None of it made any sense to me. But unbeknownst to us those guys were taking over the art world. They just looked like bad Duchamp / Warhol wanna-bes to me but they were the conversation. No one wants to talk about formal composition-form-color any more. Its all context and content now. Look up post-modernism on Wikipedia. It’s very interesting. Trevor convinced me that I had to change my conversation or be left behind. I don’t mean behind in the market place but in the conversation. He showed me how I could see post-modernism through the lens of my current work and make some sense of it.

Do you know how many artists there are out there? It’s like doing that calculation for how many planets with intelligent life there are. Just think how many art students there were in this country between, say 1965 and 1995, Probably millions, lets say 2 million. Of those, say 5% continue to make art after graduation. That means there are 100,000 artists out there, just in this country, who are trying to hustle their way through life. Of those, say another 5% are making a living somehow in the art world; teaching, whatever. That means there are 95,000 people out there making art and just getting by on the skin of their teeth; people like you and me. That means a whole lot of art is going down the tubes in the nest 30 years. Think landfills.

I’m going to post this on my bolg. Maybe you will want to respond there instead of e-mail. Maybe we can get a conversation going.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?